Monday 29 July 2013

Deee-Lite - River of Freedom (1994)



One of the more emphatic numbers from the sensual opus Dewdrops In The Garden (a dense hybrid of hip-hop, funk, house, jungle and rave). When the rippling trance-reverb kicks in and Kier's diva rotale sharpness pierces through with all the right sensations, I can't help but think that they missed a trick not releasing this.

Sadly, the Runaway video (which is a cute clip) was just not downloadable it seems, but Deee-Lite was such a visually rich act, with Kier's innate flair resonating and 'riding on through' no matter what she did, where and when.

She's back on the PA circuit, and that fine voice of hers continues to blossom, now with a soul-mamma rasp that we always knew she had in her anyway. I just hope we eventually do get a solo album: "on our way" indeed.

I hope Deee-Lite fans enjoy this should they stumble across it, this song in particular captures my imagination. Kier's quote that "our music was a hopeful escape, diffusing day to day reality" couldn't sum up my feelings any better.

3 comments:

dishy said...

LOVE DEEE-LITE - I knew Kier and Dmitri from a bar they used to work in where I hung out in the 80s - they were the fabulous

Diva Incarnate said...

Okay, I'm obsessed with Deee-Lite...

Send me an email dishing ALL please (I'm serious!)

:)

dishy said...

Oh dish I just saw that! Email me and remind me!