Friday 8 July 2011

After All Is Said & Done

Above: not even a flop could stop Eddie Gorniak (having one and one and one more plastic surgery after the other - looking good, girl).

I have long been obsessed with the 90s wintry dance-ballad hit One & One by the gorgeous Robert Miles and sung by English singer Maria Nayler (was her school nick-name "nail her"?), and so when I finally looked it up on wikipedia my jaw dropped lower than my trousers when I realised it was in a fact a cover. Written by the ever-reliable Billy Steinberg and Rick Nowels (one day you'll make it big guys), Polish Eurovision has-been and dance-pop surgery-addict Edyta Gorniak recorded it first, but was slow off the mark and didn't actually get around to releasing it herself until it was far too late. Her own version could only limp in at #79 in Germany (get that smash, girl). Major disappointment. Gorniak has a great set of pipes, and gives it some welly alright, but the fragile, almost Ladytron-like vocals of Nayler's more expressive and shivvery (although perhaps a tad mannered) outting remains the definitive recording for me. Now that I have discovered this song I can't wait for my copy of Gorniak's 2002 album to arrive through my box, which she recorded with the producers of the Spice Girls (although apparantly it sounds nothing like Wannabe and 2 Become 1). However, after all is said and done, Gorniak does have the better video, delivering beautiful male torsos, her own androgynous crew cut that would made Ellen leave Portia for, a jawline that could slice through timber and eyebrow movement Kylie would kill (her botox Dr) for.


No comments: