Wednesday 24 October 2007

"Culture, alienation, boredom and despair"


Until I got back into Madonna, the Manic Street Preachers were my biggest musical obsession when I was 13 (fuck me with a chainsaw, that was 10 years ago!). All the angst I was consumed with seemed to desperately need their pompous vitriol, altercation and alienated vanity. Motorcycle Emptiness remains without perimeters in its awe-struck sense of ennui, whilst the hard-boiled and sexually-free Traci Lords finds the time without a cock in her mouth to sing beautifully on the hopeless, gospel-tinged ballad Little Baby Nothing - her bittersweet vocals are soaked with KY and grappling nasal sadness. Like a pro, she hangs on in there more than competently, and the lines she is given to sing - including "used, used, used by men" and "we are the useless sluts that they mould" - are pop trash par excellence.


The video also marks the screen debut of music legends Shampoo.

Little Baby Nothing

Motorcyle Emptiness

I promise my next post shall include a vagina and a disco beat.

No comments: